Monday 26 March 2018

Day Nine - Desert breakdown

Driving into the desert. I think these are acacia trees
A tyre blew miles from anywhere but the driver and trusty co-driver were able to fix it
The  impressive foyer of the Gorbandh Palace Hotel
Jaisalmer  Fort
Colour
Sunset over the city of Jaisalmer

We were heading for Jaisalmer through the great Thar Desert when the road suddenly seemed very bumpy indeed. A tyre had blown. As we stood by the side of the road waiting for the spare to be fitted, a bunch of ragged children materialised as if from nowhere. 

The oldest of them, a girl of about 12 pointed to my mouth and then to her mouth. Thinking she wanted money for food I offered her money. But no what she actually wanted was a lipstick. Preferably a lipstick and some nail varnish. I wished I had a spare to give her. Living miles from the nearest shop, perhaps miles from any other people it must be hard for a little girl growing up and trying to have something of her very own. I realised that money was no good to her; nowhere to spend it. If ever I go back to India I will take things for children. 

The 'Sun City' of Jaisalmer is dominated by the massive fort, shown above. Inside the fort's walls are little shops. I saw china decorated door knobs like the ones sold in Anthropologie shops; a man making bed covers on an ancient Singer sewing machine outside his shop; and everywhere you looked colourful embroidery on bags and cushions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment